Success! As many of you know, Save the Wild U.P. (SWUP) has joined with the Upper Peninsula Environmental Coalition (UPEC) to create within UPEC the Mining Action Group (MAG). MAG is a 100% volunteer, grassroots effort defending the clean water and wild places of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula from the dangers of sulfide mining. MAG is a new semi-autonomous arm of UPEC; the leadership team includes Alexandra Maxwell, Kathleen Heideman, Jon Saari, and Steve Garske.
As activists, MAG will continue to build on Save the Wild U.P.’s legacy. We serve as environmental watchdogs, urging regulators to make wise decisions to protect the natural resources and public lands of Upper Michigan, educating citizens about the risky business of sulfide mining and the industrialization of our wild lands, reviewing and objecting to permits for new mineral leases in sensitive areas, speaking out at public hearings, and working collaboratively with regional tribal nations and watershed organizations. During the past year, SWUP activists achieved many noteworthy accomplishments, including:
- Opposing Aquila Resources’ Back Forty proposal to construct a large open-pit sulfide mine and mill on the bank of the Menominee River, the U.P’s largest watershed: hosting forums, training activists, facilitating a red-flag review of the mining permit by Center for Science in Public Participation, and preparing evidenced-based comments.
- Objecting to the County Road 595 proposal which threatened fragile wetlands and watersheds, and the Marquette County Road Commission’s lawsuit against the EPA.
- Hosting cultural events and boots-on-the-ground experiences including inspired musical events and poetry readings, opportunities to explore wetlands, waterfalls and native plant habitats.
- Participating in the U.P. Environmental Stakeholder Group in order to provide meaningful input on sulfide mining permits to Michigan’s Department of Environmental Quality.
Your active involvement and generous support has always made our work possible, and we ask you to help us continue defending the U.P.’s clean water and wild places!
As a member-based organization, UPEC has been helping to protect the U.P.’s great places since 1976. We ask you to support the Mining Action Group by becoming a UPEC member. For a minimum donation of $25, you’ll receive an annual UPEC membership, a year’s subscription to UPEC’s quarterly newsletter, Mining Action Group updates, and a free invitation to attend UPEC’s annual “Celebrate the U.P.” event.
* If you prefer mailing in a donation, click here to download this letter and print the donation form (pdf).
Join us! With ONE VOICE Working Together to Protect the Upper Peninsula,
Kathleen Heideman, Mining Action Group
Horst Schmidt, UPEC President